Are Iguanas Poisonous to Dogs? What You Need To Know

Table of Contents

If you have an iguana as a pet, you might be wondering if they’re poisonous to dogs. Here’s what you need to know about the risks of your dog coming into contact with your iguana.

Are iguanas poisonous to dogs?

It’s not the most common query, but if you own a dog and an iguana, you might be wondering: are iguanas poisonous to dogs? Well, the good news is that iguanas aren’t generally poisonous to dogs.

However, it’s important to note that iguana bites and scratches may cause localized tissue damage or infection; this can be especially dangerous if your pup has a compromised immune system. It’s best to keep your pets away from each other whenever possible so both remain happy and healthy.

What are the risks of a dog ingesting an iguana?

Dogs are naturally curious animals, and as such, they often explore their environment with their mouths. It may be tempting to encourage our furry friends to interact with an iguana, but it is not a safe practice.

Ingesting an iguana carries various risks that could be dangerous or even fatal for your pup. Digestive blockage caused by the tough skin of the iguana or punctured intestines caused by sharp claws is just a few of the serious issues that can arise. 

Additionally, ingesting the bacteria found in an iguana can lead to infections and other illnesses. As pet owners, it is our responsibility to make sure our dogs stay safe and healthy – so keep Fido away from iguanas!

What are the symptoms of iguana poisoning in dogs?

If your four-legged friend loves to explore and eat anything in sight, make sure you’re aware of what symptoms are associated with iguana poisoning. The most common signs to look out for are vomiting and diarrhea as well as increased salivation or excessive drooling.

Other side effects that may be more difficult to recognize at first include a lack of appetite, lethargy, tenderness in the abdomen, and tremors.

If your dog begins displaying any of these symptoms after coming into contact with an iguana, it’s always better to be safe than sorry and seek immediate veterinary care.

How can you prevent your dog from being poisoned by an iguana?

One of the easiest ways to prevent your dog from being poisoned by an iguana is to keep them away from areas where iguanas are commonly found.

This type of lizard is native to many tropical areas like Florida, so if you and your pup are enjoying a day in the sunshine together, it would be wise to stay out of any habitats they’re known to inhabit.

In addition, always make sure that garbage containers near your home are properly sealed and kept away from curious noses! 

If you have an outdoor space with thick shrubs or other leafy flora, this may attract iguanas, so ensure that it is well monitored before taking your pup out into it. With these simple measures, you can help ensure that the bond between you and your furry friend remains happy and healthy!

What should you do if you suspect your dog has ingested an iguana?

If you suspect your pooch has had an encounter with an iguana, it’s important to act quickly. Signs of ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, or seizures and can last for up to 48 hours.

At the first sign of symptoms, take your pup in to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. They will run blood tests and organ functions to determine if the ingestion occurred and assess what toxins may be present in the iguana.

Early detection is key in avoiding severe consequences of iguana toxicity so make sure you don’t hesitate to get help from your vet if you are wary of your pup’s potential iguana trouble.

Can dogs die from ingesting an iguana?

It’s no question that dogs are curious by nature and will eat almost anything at times.

Unfortunately, this curiosity can often lead to health issues for our four-legged friends, including the potential to die from ingesting an iguana.

While these reptiles may seem harmless at first glance, their bellies are filled with bacteria and chemicals that can be damaging to a dog’s system. 

In some cases, very small breeds or puppies have succumbed to an iguana’s toxins after eating it. Therefore, if your pup is ever caught nibbling on an iguana you should take them to the vet right away – better safe than sorry!

Final Thoughts

Iguanas are not poisonous to dogs. However, they can transmit salmonella bacteria which can make your dog sick. If your dog comes in contact with an iguana, be sure to wash their hands and body thoroughly. If you have any concerns about your dog’s health, please consult a veterinarian.

More Of The Same Category​

Nelson Knox

Nelson Knox

Hello there!
My name is Nelson Knox, and I'm a 37-year-old lizard grower from Oklahoma.
I live with my girlfriend Lillian and our 2 lizards, Ringo & Star, and we spend our days exploring their fascinating world. We love to watch them hunt for bugs, bask in the sun, and enjoy life generally!

About Me

Recent Posts

15 Most Beautiful Iguanas in the World